24 Hours

In the last 24 hours I have washed 6 loads of dishes, mopped the floors twice, cleaned the toilets, sinks, and counters. I have combed tangles until the tears outnumbered the hairs. I have settled arguments with both words and punishments. I have driven hundreds of kilometers and walked about the same. I have found food where it oughtn't be and DVDs where it ought.  I have caught myself using sarcasm on my 7 year-old and blushed hearing her use it right back at me. I have made the beds to have them torn apart in effort to have the "coolest fort ever made". I have picked up the same book 17 times.

In the last 24 hours I have tried 4 new recipes to have 3 utterly rejected. I have pulled a fish hook out of a foot, pried a stuck knee out of a metal structure at the park, and checked for concussions and bloody noses...all on the same child. I have heard "my life is over" and "this is the greatest day ever" within the same hour. I have reminded the kids that I should only have to speak to them once then proceeded to ask them to put their shoes away 8 times before they did it. I have closed the back door 22 times.

In the last 24 hours I have watched best friends become mortal enemies, joy become anger, and co-operation become selfishness. I have also seen sisters share without being asked to, brothers hug for no reason at all, and friends being prayed for without prompting, I have been grossed out, lied to, drooled on, whined at, and vilified. I have been, hugged, kissed, thanked, cuddled, and loved.  I have taught many lessons and learned countless more. I have answered 19 phone calls that were not for me.

In the last 24 hours I have been congratulated on my childrens' awesome behaviour while wondering if the person congratulating me had completely lost their mind. I have watched my boys gently hug babies and fiercely stand up to bullies. I have seen my girls give preference to their friends and try to give away their prized possessions to others who needed it more. I have asked children to "stop talking to me for just a minute!!!" I have wondered why everyone was so quiet. I have lost track of each kids' whereabouts at least 3 times.

In the last 24 hours I have cried over spilled milk. I have thrown stones at glass houses. I have made mountains out of molehills. I have tossed in the towel. I have been fed up, burnt out, and put upon. I have felt like the worst mother in the world. 

In the last 24 hours I have counted my blessings, marveled at miracles, and thanked God for my amazing life. I have felt I have the best family in the world.

A lot can happen in 24 hours.

Comments

Called To Go said…
WOW! Love it that about sums up all my 24 hours too. :o) Apparently we need a play date!
Tonya said…
Rats. Not sure if that comment went through, or if I was signed in or my husband. Anyhow, this was great! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fictions and Facts

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell