The Buggy-Do's


I am about to send my oldest daughter half a world away. Just the thought fills me with equal amounts of excitement and terror. This girl has always been very independent. As soon as she learned to talk she's been adamant about doing things for herself. We affectionately called her "Buggy" from birth which is what she assumed was her name and so, in order to assert her little 2 year-old independence, she would constantly run around shouting, "Buggy do!!" From pouring her own "mornin' soup" (cereal) to putting on her own "baby soup" to go in the "swimmin' cool" she insisted that, "Buggy-do!" So, now, when any of the kids decides to assert their perceived self-sufficiency Hubby and I look at each other, smile and say, "Another case of the Buggy-Do's."

While her autonomy was encouraging to her pregnant mother it was also a wee bit scary since she has always been...well, easily distracted. Like the time she insisted on walking through WalMart's parking lot unassisted during an airshow. After multiple warnings about paying attention to her surroundings she did just that. She watched the sky very carefully while she walked directly in front of a car.

My girl has had a burden for foreign missions for quite some time. Two years ago she came home from summer camp and announced her intention to one day travel to and possibly live and minister in Rio Muni (the Continental Region of Equatorial Guinea). Hubby has had great fun teasing her about eating bugs and asking if there's room in Rooney Mooney for our tent trailer when we come to visit (which translates to, "I don't think I can let my baby go.") But none of his ribbing deters her from her plans.

So as I pondered what to tell her as she embarks on this first semi-solo (she's traveling with family friends) adventure, having the ultimate case of the Buggy-Do's, I sought to impart some invaluable motherly wisdom on my first born.

I thought first to tell her to be humble. I realized, however, that would be unnecessary. Humbleness will come naturally. She will be serving in a foreign country of which she's only read about, surrounded by a language she doesn't know under seasoned missionaries. No, there would be no wisdom in that directive, only redundancy.

I thought next to tell her to be a servant. But that too is irrelevant. She is a natural born servant. This particular child has never shirked any duty. Opting to take on others' responsibilities to make things easier rather than only handle her own. Constant requests have always met with, "Yes, Mom!" No, servitude is not a weak point that needs to be addressed.

Then I thought to tell her to be flexible. However, growing up in this family has left her with little option. After surprise siblings, job strikes, a few moves, some family turmoil and loss, sicknesses and surgeries, she's had to adapt to new situations again and again. No, flexibility is nothing new.

I could think of only one thing to tell her. The one with every person in the world has trouble with at one point or another. One thing she has ultimate control over: be teachable.

Accept correction knowing that you will make mistakes. It's not an insult, its a learning experience. Be teachable.

Don't roll your eyes or sigh thinking you know what you are doing. You don't. Be teachable.

Don't shy away from asking questions but expect answers you weren't necessarily prepared to hear. Seek knowledge, gain wisdom. Be teachable.

Realize that those who have been there and done that want you to be there and do that without making the same errors they did. They desire your success. Be teachable.

So, my independent, humble, serving, flexible daughter. Be teachable...and don't drink the water.

Comments

MnM said…
How crazy that your oldest is old enough to do this!! I will be praying for you both as she goes and has what I'm sure will be a life changing experience! HUGS!

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts