Trinkets or Treasures?

We each have our own interpretation of 'value'. The old saying; One man's trash is another man's treasure still rings true. My husband and I have tried to steer our childrens' affections away from material possessions as much as North American-ly possible. We are certainly blessed with too much as are many people in our culture, but thankful for every bit of it. There have been lean times...very lean times over the course of creating this family but nothing has been without purpose. No lesson has gone unlearned. We have never claimed to be an average family. We most definitely have different values than some. We have literally been questioned at times about how we can possibly consider ourselves good parents when we have never acquired a DSi  for any of the kids. I'm not kidding. That really happened.

Many of the things my children have or don't have and any of the activities my kids are or are not involved in have more to do with logistics than anything else. But one of my daughter's friends had her own interpretation as I came to find a few months ago.....

The first few years we lived in our little town my older girls participated in the community sports. They played on the soccer team and softball team in the summer while the little ones were still babies. The winter time made it a bit more difficult to participate in organized activities. The thought of trying to dress 2 small children, a toddler, and two babies in snowsuits after shoveling the driveway, packing two diaper bags, then loading two kids in booster seats, one in a five point harness, and two infant carriers in the van in -30 C and the odd blizzard, driving the half-hour to the city all the while having the realization that I'd have to do it all over again when the lesson/game/activity was over and I would then be dealing with over-tired, over-stimulated, and hungry 0-6 year-olds was just too much for me. I'm sorry, I will admit it for anyone who may have thought differently, I am no super-woman. I know, it's a shock. 

Since that time we have focused our efforts in different interests. We have come to find that we (as a family) love traveling and camping! So we purchased a tent trailer and spent much of our spring, summer, and fall at different provincial parks. That time together (as Leave It To Beaver as is may sound) has been very precious and valuable to us. It didn't leave much time for other activities but the only complaints I heard pertained to going home.

One day my oldest called her friend and asked if she would like to play. The friend replied that she wouldn't be able to because of an activity she had signed up for. They made alternate plans for a few days later. While discussing all of the sports/clubs/activities this child is involved in, the friend queried, "Don't you hate being poor?"  My daughter was very puzzled and asked what her friend meant.

     "Well, you never get to do anything," was her reply.

She had interpreted our childrens' lack of participation in organized activities as financial hardship. Isn't that precious? My daughter was ready with a response that would make any mother proud. She said "We're not poor! We may not get everything we want but we have everything we need!" Have I mentioned I love her?

We have had many chuckles over that little incident over the past few months. Every time we enjoy a meal at a restaurant or give each other gifts we'll often say, "Isn't it awful being poor?"

A few weeks ago my in-laws invited Hubby and me to a very elegant meal. During the dinner this particular story came up when my father-in-law mentioned a rash of robberies in our town. We hadn't heard about them yet and made light of the fact that the thieves must have heard our story and felt too much compassion to steal from such a destitute family. Well, word must have spread because when we arrived home that evening a size 5 boys' winter jacket was hanging on our doorknob. Not only would no one steal from us, they were leaving charitable donations!

This evening I was able to watch one of my all-time favorite movies from childhood with my kids, The Goonies! It has been years since I've seen it and to be honest I forgot how much questionable language l was in it.  Thank heavens it was on television so pretty much every off colour word was dubbed. The kids were enthralled with the underground maze, the treasure map, and the sheer adventure of it all. When the Goonies finally found One Eyed Willy's pirate ship Buddy #2 wanted to know why they were looking for it in the first place. I told him they wanted to find the treasure.

     "Treasure?!" He asked excitedly, "What treasure?"

I replied "Gold and jewels and....." He couldn't contain his growing enthusiasm. He blurted out, "and monster truck toys?!?!?!?!"

     "Yes dear, monster truck toys."

I suppose in the life of a five year-old boy, they are very valuable.

Comments

Susan said…
Very nicely put Traci. You have a gift of making the ordinary extraordinary.. Blessings to you and your family.

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts