Unanswered Prayer

I am in the habit of praying with each of my children before they go to sleep at night. I use those few minutes to ask them seriously (and sometimes playfully) if they have anything on their minds that they would like to pray for. The range of requests stretches very, very far. I've heard everything from "I want my tummy to feel better" to "I want to find my noisy frog toy." (I'll shamefully admit I "forgot' to mention the frog toy during my purposefully lengthy oration). It has been a precious time for me because we don't just pray together, as cheesy as some people may think it sounds, it is truly a bonding time....well, usually.

We had been going through a wee bit of a rough time with Buddy #1. He is a sweet and sensitive but energetic and mischievous at the same time. He would never intentionally hurt anything but does a lot of damage unintentionally all the time. Most of the family sees his natural curiosity as a severe pain in the tukas, not I of course, I'm his MOTHER! Like the time Hubby bought the Buddies water guns to play with at the beach...he may have broken both of them within mere minutes, but he was just trying to see how they worked! Or the time he drew on the side of hubby's new truck with a stick..he was just exploring his artistic side. Or when he broke the windows on the neighbor's truck cap....I agree, a truck cap placed on the ground really does look like a step dancing stage. And if one of the sisters doesn't want to get clobbered in the head she shouldn't be sitting on the couch while he's somersaulting off the arm, that's just common sense!

A few years ago however,  Buddy #1 had an unusually terrible day. His misdeeds seemed intentional even to me and he did not seem to be regretful of anything. "Sorrys" couldn't be coaxed out of him, hugs weren't happening, and stubbornness abounded. This is when Daddy stepped in. Daddy is a lot more intimidating than Mama. When Hubby arrived home from work and I filled him in on the day's events he put on his Daddy hat and went to the offending child. While Buddy #1 offered every excuse a 3 year-old can think of, Daddy stood unmoved. When Daddy had finished correcting Buddy #1 he then explained his need to ask forgiveness from those he had offended. Buddy #1 was "less than pleased" at this thought and resisted with all his 3 year-old power. The punishment for his transgressions was an early bedtime. When he realized the judgement did not include Buddy #2 and that he'd be going to bed ALONE he became indignant! Daddy calmly stated that it was time to pray before bed, asked Buddy #2 to bow his head, and let him do the talking.

  "Dear Jesus," he said through tears and hiccups, "please make Dad die."

After suppressing a giggle and turning out the light Hubby whispered, "I love you son."

  "Love you too, Dad." he offered sheepishly.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts