Small, Simple, Crazy Things

One thing I have always been able to do is see the humour in almost every situation. Not necessarily right away but eventually the hilarity dawns on me. Today, I even chuckle at the time Hubby and I found poo on the living room ceiling. I wasn't really laughing then but I do now. Every day there is something to laugh about; small, simple, crazy things to laugh about. It makes me feel better. God said it would.

  A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.... Proverbs 17:22a

 When I was a child I was the same. I always found something to laugh about. Especially when I was bored. When I was bored my creativity flourished. Like the time I was riding in the backseat of my mother's car on a long drive. We had stopped at a fast food place for milkshakes and Mom was listening to elevator music on the radio as usual. I attached the straws to the arms of my glasses and told Mom I was picking up HBO. If we had gotten into an accident that day it would have totally been my fault. She laughed so hard it's a wonder we made it home.

 When I was a teenager and stressed about exams, my friend and I were told to leave the library because we caused a ruckus. We had made up a story about the fate of the Polka Dot Door characters; how Bear and Marigold went insane because of having to repeat everything for their hard-of-hearing hosts. By the time we were done crafting our wickedly humourous narrative both my friend and I had completely forgotten about exams and the fact that the library is supposed to be a quiet place. The librarian reminded us.

 When Hubby fell and injured his knee the first time, we were all laughing. Mostly because he kept saying really funny things. We could see so much good coming from his injury... the time spent at home and the kindness our friends and neighbors were showing. The second time Hubby hurt his knee, he lay helpless in the snowy, icy driveway next door. I had no idea how to get him home. He couldn't stand up on his own and being that he weighs double what I do and is almost a full foot taller we had to be very creative. I helped him roll onto his belly on one of the girls' sleds and pushed him home. Just the sight of it sent me (and the neighbors) in to fits of giggles. I was thankful there was snow on the ground. I laughed at the candy cane cast the jokesters in the ACU put on him. It was good that it happened around Christmas.

  In everything give thanks.. I Thessalonians 5:18

 But lately, I haven't been laughing much. Lately, a lot of not funny things have happened. It wasn't funny when the surgeon decided Hubby needed an extra 2 weeks in the cast this time. I didn't laugh when he pushed it to 3 because he was unavailable on the scheduled date to remove it. It wasn't funny when my truck started making a grinding noise on right turns and Hubby pronounced it offically parked due to a repair that would cost $600. I didn't laugh when my 10 year-old interrupted my shower to tell me I had to go help Hubby tow his ATV home from the park when it broke down. What good would come from my 9 year-old's guinea pig having a seizure and dying in her arms? I didn't laugh when the same child decided to wear roller blades in the house and pull the bathroom sink out of the wall. It wasn't funny when Hubby tried to fix it, hit the water valve, and sprayed the freshly painted walls and ceiling...ok, that was a little funny. I couldn't see the good in having to wait 2 months for an interview to get back to work and it wasn't funny when I had the interview and the HR lady shook my hand and told me I'd probably hear from them in a couple of weeks. I didn't laugh when our cell service got cut off due to the inability to pay for it or when our bank called with some not-so-great news. I felt broken.

  ...but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17:22b

 I didn't understand. What good would come of any of this?

  All things work together for good... Romans 8:28a

 I ran into a friend while grocery shopping. We made small talk. After I walked away I reviewed our conversation in my mind and realized the only thing I talked about were all the bad things that were happening. It hurt me to think I had given him the impression I was a negative person. I needed to make a change. I started thinking, playing a game with myself. The "Look for the Good" game.

 I believe the Bible. the Bible says all things work together for good. What's the good? I have always looked for the good in a bad situation that way I can be thankful for it. So what can I be thankful for? 

I came up with nothing.

 Then it dawned on me. God didn't say "look for the good so you can be thankful".  He said "give thanks". He did promise good would come of everything. He didn't promise we would be able to see it...at least not right away. While looking for the good in every situation is...well, good, it is not a prerequisite to giving thanks. 

I decided to be thankful.

I don't see the good. Not yet. I'm not even looking for it. I'm waiting for it instead. 

 Now, I can laugh again. Because things are funny; small, simple, crazy things.

Comments

Yes! One thing that I admire about you is your "positive" outlook, but although I know where (or rather Whom!) this comes from, I also know that it's not easy to be that way when life keeps throwing you curve-balls. I think of Paul's words in Philippians about being content in every situation, and how real joy comes as a gift of the Spirit, not from circumstances, but I also know that that's something God and I are working on together! As Christ followers, we can't help but let our "joy" build up and ooze out over others! But as sinful beings we'll continue to struggle with what this looks like in our life. I don't believe for a minute that it means that we must plaster a stupid grin on our faces, or pretend to be happy, when rotten things are happening around and to us. Having been through some horrendous times, including the death of our 2 yr old son, I can attest to that fact that we CAN have that joy and "peace that surpasses all understanding", even in the midst of crap. God is shaping you for Him, as He does for us all, even when we'd sooner not go through stuff! Prayers for peace and joy for you, my friend ((hugs))
Susan said…
I absolutely loved your post. I was missing you on Facebook and hoped that all was ok. You certainly have been going through a rough patch. I've been running that patch for about 2 years now. I still play the Glad game. remember (Pollyana) . She was queen of the glad game. But sometimes I long to see the goodness of God in this land of the living. I feel faint at times. Yet, I always have that inner joy and peace that God has a plan . And yes , I agree. Just maybe this is all about him and not about me.. Take care...
Traci T. said…
I know you, of all people, have a deep understanding of hardship. My trials pale in comparison to what your family endured. And yet, you still give praise and glory to Whom it is due. You are an example to me.

The Lord gave and The Lord hath taken away. Blessed be gone name of The Lord.
Job 1:21
Traci T. said…
Thank you, Susan. I hope things look up for you soon.
Unknown said…
Beautiful blog, Traci. You have a real talent for expressing yourself. I'm so glad to call you my daughter-in-law. Keep it up.

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts