Mutiny in the Galley

I am not a good multitasker. I know the lifestyle of homeschooling 5 kids might suggest otherwise but take my word for it. I am a decent organizer, not too bad with time management, but multitasker....no. Today, I decided to get a head start on September's church bulletin and was basking in my unusual lack of procrastination when my 9 year-old decided she was bored and wanted to bake a cake. Since I was completely focused on the task at hand I dismissed her with a wave and a nod of (what she thought was) approval. I know I heard her searching for the ingredients. I'm quite positive I told her which mixing bowl to use. I'm sure she informed me she was going to use the electric mixer. I just don't remember being mentally invested in the exchange.

I was torn away from my (important) work the first time due to some uncertainty surrounding the smell coming from the preheating oven. I assured the (now 3) girls encircling the mixing bowls that it was perfectly normal and not to forget they were responsible for the clean up. The second begrudging time was to be asked why the batter didn't "look right". I determined they had forgotten to add the water to the muck-like paste they were so enthralled with and I reminded them to clean up the mess.

You would think I would start to question the capability of my little Martha Stewarts after a few of these distractions but oh no! I was too concerned with my masterpiece waiting at my unattended computer to spend too much time considering the potential peril in the kitchen. Just as I became engrossed once again I heard, "Uh, Mama...." This sounded different than the usual "uh, Mama's". It had a strange if I sound really calm she won't realize I'm panicking
tone to it. As I rounded the corner I saw my eldest bent over the mixing bowl at a strange angle. She had leaned over to watch the swirling mixer paddles and somehow gotten her hair entangled in the process. I was so annoyed by this point that I abandoned the bulletin, reversed the paddles out of her hair, sent her for a shower, finished the stupid cake myself and reminded myself to clean up the mess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts