An Answer for Everything

My youngest son is a jewel. He is sweet, considerate, and gentle. He is also very soft spoken which makes him completely unlike the rest of the family. When I need a quiet cuddle to calm my nerves after a hectic day he's my go-to guy. One thing that has consistently separated his personality from his twin's is his thoughtfulness. Buddy #1 tends to rush headlong into whatever suits his fancy whereas #2 (although two whole minutes #1's junior) seems to be the wiser brother. When Buddy #1 was hurling himself down the basement steps in a toy barrel reminiscent of Bobby Leach taking the plunge over Niagara Falls, Buddy #2 stood watching at the top of the steps then promptly tattled. Buddy #2 is content to always let Buddy #1 test the waters before he even dips in a toe. Like this spring when Buddy #1 thought it would be fun to walk on the ice in the neighbour's pool. Buddy #2 apparently watched for a minute or two to see if his buddy would sink. When he didn't, #2 thought it was a great idea...until they got caught.
"It's all HIS fault, Mom! he TEMPTED me!"
See, that's one hazard of being a twin. When one kid comes up with a stupid idea that he thinks might be a good idea, he may hesitate a bit before following through. But when that kid has a twin that thinks the stupid idea is a good idea it's immediate confirmation to go ahead a give it a try.

Before these little guys were even three, Buddy #1 started getting a bit...shall we say...lippy? One evening he was being his usual rambunctious self and jumping in and out of his seat like popcorn on hot coals. I led him back to his chair, waved my matronly finger in his little face, and said (with loving sternness), "You get back in your seat!" With all the tenacity his 2 year old demeanour could muster he pointed his chubby little finger right back at me and said, "You get back in your kitchen." Buddy #2 stared, dumbfounded, at his brother. Sheer horror washed the colour right out of his cheeks at the imagination of what possible punishment his best buddy might receive being the Son in the Hands of an Angry Mom. Bed without dinner is as bed as it gets for a 2 year old boy with my husband's blood. But for some reason, the memory of this incident did not remain long enough in #2's mind to keep him from spouting some of his own lip. One evening after a a community youth meeting at a local church I was particularly tired. A few minutes after the kids walked through the door I announced it was time for baths and bedtime stories. Buddy #2 thought I was a little premature in my pronouncement and before thinking he blurted, "I just got home, Woman!" Yes, my precious, sweet, quiet little angel had just made the enormous mistake if calling his mother "Woman." Immediately, it was as if we were taken back five years. I watched all the colour drain from his already milky complexion at the realization he had just made a major faux pas. He has never called me "Woman" again.

Each time one of my kids does something that is worthy of correction I try do follow it up with Biblical principle. I am not (unless necessary in extenuating circumstances) a "Because I Told You So" parent. If I have to discipline my child I also disciple them. I believe children need to know why they are being corrected. Buddy #2, being the thinker that he is has picked up all too cleverly on this fact. Last night the family turned in early. Hubby and I set our "Day Shift" alarm begrudgingly for 3:40 a.m. and bid our flock good-night. At 10:15 p.m. I awoke with at start to the sound of canned laughter emanating from the Buddies' room. As I swung the door open, Buddy #2 threw a Nintendo 3DS under the covers and sheepishly, with saucer-like eyes squeaked out, "Yes, Mama?"

"You know the rules, young man. You are grounded from any and all electronics all day tomorrow!"

In the morning #2 ascended the stairs with a ready apology. We hugged and I prepared breakfast.

"Am I still grounded, Mama?"

"Of course, son."

"But I said I was sorry," he said, knowing I have always taught that we must forgive when forgiveness is asked just like Jesus does for us.

"And I forgive you but you still need to accept the consequences for you actions or you will never learn your lesson."

He mulled the new information for no longer than a second and then inquired, "Do you have a verse for that?"

So, before school, I spent some time thinking. Then we spent some time with David and Bathsheba in 2 Samuel. He is learning his lesson and I learned mine...have an answer for everything with that kid.

Comments

lol. You make me wish I might have a chance to mingle with those kids.

You might get yourself some of those Doorpost Charts.... it's a time saver :-D You need a verse for that, dear child? Go to the If Then Chart and look it up yourself. (Kidding of course, but I do have those charts...)

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts