U.S.Anonymous

I hesitated to write this post. I was ashamed to admit the truth. But then I thought, maybe I could help someone with the same problem! Maybe I could be an inspiration of some sort! Maybe I could...

Wait. Let me begin properly...

Hi. My name is Traci...and I am an Unschooler.

Well, I was. Some may think that Unschooling can never be cured without 12 step programs and such, that anyone who Unschools is just in a constant state of recovery. But I am happy to say that's not true! Let me explain.

It all started two years ago when Hubby got hurt. At first, I could handle the pressure. I mean, I could shower my spouse and teach my kids math at the same time, no problem. However, after he had been off work for several months and the bank account started dwindling the pressure mounted. I took my first step toward the problem. I applied for work. Thankfully, I wasn't hired until early Spring so most of our lessons were already complete. I managed. 

In August, Hubby had recovered and I had worked all summer. I was ready to begin school. Excited even! Then, our house flooded, majorly. Like, "you will have to live in a trailer in your driveway while we rip out half of your main living space"  majorly. After moving the majority of our belongings into our dining room which also served as our classroom, filling out mountains of paperwork, spending hours on the phone with insurance adjusters, having to make Home Depot runs for contractors in the middle of the day, and still having to work to build back up our finances, I cracked. I took the final leap into the abyss that is Unschooling.

Having succumbed to the lifestyle, my behaviour became unseemly. I started doing shocking things like checking out library books that appealed to my child's interest only without superfluous information that he would forget later anyway. I turned to Youtube and Netflix for frivolous things such as documentaries and worse, TedTalks. What kind of mother exposes her highschooler to realities like Hitler and Nazi Germany?! Unschoolers do. Shocked? Keep reading.

I started taking the kids out in public to inappropriate places like the grocery store only to reinforce unusable skills like math, budgeting, and the completely unacceptable past-time, frugality! We were frequent visitors to the local science center and museums. These places of ill repute only support the habit. All of the children were allowed to consort with undesirables, notably the sort close to their own ages, taking part in questionable rituals like league hockey. I also stooped to taking music lessons. Not just me either, all of the kids too. I forced them to practice. By the end they knew about clefs, notes, timing, rhythm, and even diction. No shame! I. had. no. shame.

Not only was my conduct affected by this horrible habitude, I saw a change in the children. My oldest started *choke* working. Yes, she started getting up at ungodly hours...like, 8:00 a.m. just to learn an inconsequential industry; farming. She wasted so much time caring for reprobate animals like alpacas and baby chicks. She fritted away hours collecting eggs, driving tractors, and herding sheep. She learned how to work hard and be responsible. I feel sick just thinking about it. What's worse, she actually got paid to do it and her employers were so hideously impressed with her work ethic that they left the entire farm in her charge while they were out of the country! The child is only 14!!! I hope she can find it in her heart to forgive me one day.

If that weren't sad enough, my second oldest fell into the same trap. She started babysitting. Saddled with two little ruffians who expected her to participate unbecoming activities like make-overs and playing with Saint Bernard puppies. She was miserable, I could tell. It didn't help that the entire time she was assisting a neighbour in need. Do you see what Unschooling can lead to? Compassion, that's what.

As I recall my decent into Unschooling it is hard to hold back the tears that so violently threaten to burst from my eyes. Difficult to swallow the sobs that want so desperately to push past the enormous lump in my throat. But I must continue my confession. The truth shall set me free.

My three youngest children were not immune to my failure as a mother. My youngest girl has struggled her whole life with dyslexia. I completely neglected to give her phonics drills and make her read curriculum-required material. You know, I read that the best way to teach dyslexics is through games and the best time to do it is during school breaks when there is little pressure to perform. But these quacks who put out this propaganda are only educational therapists. What do they know?! Just because it worked and she can read now proves nothing!

The Buddies were forced to grow up way too fast. Only being nine, I made them clean up after themselves and even others! They were expected to do yard work and make their own sandwiches. They learned how to use measuring cups and spoons, how to load a dishwasher and washing machine and I actually asked them to put soap in and start them. None of the kids were exempt from doing their own laundry or helping with meals. Can you understand my guilt?!

I hit rock bottom in April. Having dealt with my problem for nearly 8 months I tried to run away from it, pretend I hadn't squandered my children's education for two-thirds of a year. I decided we needed to take a vacation. I made my husband and children drive from North Eastern Ontario all the way to Central Florida. They had never been out of the bush and I should have kept it that way. This world can be a horrible influence. I wish I had sheltered them from the cruel exposure. They saw awful things like green grass BEFORE May. They were forced to speak to contemptible people like border security guards and Americans. They were coerced to scrounge for food in back-alley establishments like Cracker Barrel. The only semi-educational things we did were learning how to read maps, familiarizing ourselves with the local ecosystem, exploring the coastline and sea life, and taking one insignificant field trip to a citrus grove. So, basically nothing. The straw that broke the camel's back, what made me realize I needed help was when one of my children became so enamoured with a particular stop on the trip that she declared she wanted to live there when she grew up. We were in Buffalo.

My wonderful, patient, kind husband was so supportive of me during my departure from sanity. He would always lovingly and gently remind me that one day I would return to the Speed Drilling Science Nerd Grammar Nazi my family knew and hated. I didn't believe him but you know what?  I have been delivered. Hallelujah, I am a Homeschooler once again! We started with a full curriculum and 8 hour days exactly in time with the public school system. I have given 3 geography quizzes, 2 spelling tests, and 4 science assignments already. I have CD ROMs and spreadsheets for grading.

I just hope that one day my children can block their one year of Unschooling from their memories and live full and happy lives quoting multiplication tables and correcting other peoples' grammar.



Comments

Or maybe they'll "accidentally" leave the water running in the house for two days so they can go back to "unlearning".
Traci T. said…
Oh, believe me, if they flood my basement school will be the last thing on their minds. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts