Tornado Party

Yesterday, while I was in the process of baking Hubby's favorite shortbread cookies, the Weather Network warned of a possible tornado in our area. Where we live, tornados are not unheard of but they're not exactly commonplace. We're no Kansas. Nonetheless, I covered my petunias to protect them from any hail that may find its way into their beds (wouldn't want to waste that $10 I spent on them!) and called the kids inside just in case. I explained the weather situation in what I felt was a very apathetic tone of voice but when I said, "There's a remote possibility of a tornado. Better safe then sorry." My 8 year-old's brain heard, "IMPENDING DOOM! DUCK AND COVER!" She's a slightly excitable child. I went back to rolling my cookies. She started panicking. Every horrid image that could possibly be related to the destruction a tornado can bring immediately flooded the poor girl's mind. She started rambling about the roof been torn off, the Buddies being sucked up, the dog being lost, and horror of horrors....the school books being rendered unusable! 

We hid our smiles and gently suggested that she might feel better if she were to sit in the "safe room". Our basement bathroom is constructed of three cement walls, no windows, and is quite literally the size of a large closet. We have declared this our Tornado Haven. Being a family of seven, it would be tight quarters should we have need of it but we like to hug so it's all good. My girl was all too agreeable to the idea and hightailed it down the stairs. 

I was paying more attention to my baking than I was the goings on of the household but I did manage to snap a picture of an angry sky approaching.


I shut the door tightly behind me and turned around to see a little hand snatch a small bunch of bananas from the kitchen counter before the body attached to it scurried back toward the basement. It wasn't long before she reappeared. This time to grab her guinea pig and implore one Buddy to fight for life by taking refuge with her. 

By this time Hubby could no longer control his innate desire to tease. He started humming the Wicked Witch of the West's theme from the Wizard of Oz each time she'd pass. She grew annoyed. He asked Buddy #1 if he would like to seek shelter with his big sis. "Nuh, uh! She's goin'crazy!" was his delicate response. 

  "Fine!" she cried. "Just stay up here and die!"

Hubby couldn't hold back. "See you in heaven, Sweetie."

  "Oh, no you won't. I won't be there!" She took flight down the stairs and into her fortress. 

After 15 minutes the dark clouds passed and the rain let up. Not a single tornado had developed. I thought I should go and inform the survivors. But when I opened the bathroom I realized they weren't really interested in being rescued. And I was inclined to join them.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts