Sometimes

Sometimes there are weeks that don't want to end. My faith is tested, my patience tried, my character called into question. Sometimes a quick trip to the store turns into hours of time seemingly wasted. My mind retreats to home where dishes remain unwashed, laundry still wet, and floors not swept. Sometimes I worry. Bills need to be paid, family needs to be fed, relationships need to be maintained. Sometimes I get caught up in adult concerns. 

But I have five non-adults in my care. Five still-dreaming, still-wishing, still-whimsical non-adults. Sometimes I get a glimpse of what my five non-adults think of my grown-up issues. Like when I've been forced to say, "Not today, I don't have the money," and been countered with, "Just go to the bank and buy some!" Or when I've foolishly admitted I can't do something to little ones who have heard Philippians 4:13 quoted incessantly to their own admissions of defeat.  (The true meaning of "judge not lest thee be judged".) 

Sometimes one of those non-adults hear me complain about my mature problems. Sometimes they almost get it. Sometimes they surprise me. Sometimes one of these little ones ask me if they can watch a movie like Batman and I have to say, "No. That movie has some mature things I don't think you're ready for." Meaning violence and perhaps offensive language.... Sometimes that non-adult comes back with, "It's okay Mom, he only does a little bit of shopping and laundry."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Fictions and Facts