Books and Bank Accounts

Wednesday is Library Day in our house. My children love the library and we are blessed to have one within walking distance from our home. Then again, everything in our town is within walking distance from our home. We have been frequenting it once weekly ever since the 5 year-old was born. Mrs. Donna, the librarian, is excellent with the kids and so supportive of our homeschooling that it makes visiting a real joy. I have taken to letting the 3 girls go without me to pick their books and movies and so far it's been a smashing success. I love seeing what they choose for themselves, it gives me a glimpse into what truly interests them and that's exciting for me! However, I wasn't expecting one thing my eldest decided to return with this week. As the girls headed out the door I reminded them to use discretion in their choices and to get the boys some good bedtime material.

They always take a cell phone when they go and call me repeatedly to ask if this book is ok or if that movie will do. I try to hide my exasperation after the third or fourth call and just be thankful that they still seek my approval. This particular day I didn't receive any calls and I really should have! I didn't know, but the 9 year-old wasn't interested in borrowing books or movies. She had gone to the library with a mission! When they returned they showed me the overflowing book bag and explained all of their choices. The 5 year-old decided on some fairy tales, the 7 year-old's fancies were tickled by comic books(yay), and then my eldest proceeded (very rapidly) listing the boys' books, two movies, her beloved science books and finishing up with "....by the way, I got a job."

"Wait a minute....what? You got a what?" With a confused look on her face she replied, "Dinosaur books..."  "No, after that..." She brightened. "Oh, a job! I asked Mrs. Donna if I could work at the library. I start Saturday and I'll be working Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays putting books away. I'm sorry to tell you this Mom, but I have to start work at 3:00 pm sharp so if I'm not done my school work I'm afraid it will have to wait."  After I reattached my jaw and collected my thoughts I was finally able to respond. I knew of this child's love of books for a very long time and she has expressed interest in library science to one degree or another but I didn't expect her to act on it so soon! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't proud of her. She is showing some real initiative and what better place is there for a kid to spend her time?

The more I thought about it, the more I bubbled with excitement for her. She is looking forward to her "first day" tomorrow with such enthusiasm it's hard not to share in it. We talked about responsibility and work ethic. I dispelled the myth that school work would "have to wait". I asked her not to make any more major life decisions without asking me first (at least until she's 21). When I thought the conversation was over I kissed her on the forehead but she wasn't quite done talking. "By the way, Mom," (Ugh...I hate it when sentences start out with those 4 words.) "I'm not charging for my work, I volunteered." I chuckled in spite of myself. "How benevolent of you, Bug!" She looked at me, puzzled. "What does benevolent mean?" I responded joyfully, "You'll be spending lots of time with dictionaries. Look it up!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Small, Simple, Crazy Things