Entrapment

Today was a frustrating day. I have a few of those every now and then. They usually happen in cycles... around every 24 hours. It was raining today and I love rainy days because I don't have to worry about children's minds wandering from their school work to the plethora of activities awaiting them in the sunshine. We started promptly at 9 and moved seamlessly through math and language arts until our break at 10:30. I have learned that one should not stop while on a roll however my children vehemently disagree. The 9 year-old has taken to watching the clock very closely during the late morning. She looks like a thoroughbred at the starting gate. When the minute hand makes that final move onto the six, it's like she hears a starting pistol inaudible to most human ears.

The break is good in theory. It allows us to breathe and regroup. I enjoy the stopping part of it. It's the getting back at it that kills me. I have a few kids that are studious and co-operative. When I say "break's over" I can count on them to be at the table without too much fuss. There are the other few who would much rather be unschooled. I, personally, do not believe in undirected learning. I believe in speed drills and extra practice sheets much to my offspring's chagrin. I also believe it is way too early in the school year to hear any complaints about the second grade workload. But, being the progressive mom that I am, I determined not to launch in to endless anecdotes starting with "when I was in grade two...." (Partially because I can't remember anything from grade two other than the trouble I got into and I don't want to go there.) I pretend to let the anguished groans and moans fall on deaf ears while starting to boil internally.

I outwardly ignored the clamour well into the afternoon but after our 2:00 p.m. break I'd had enough. After 2 failed attempts to pull one of the children away from an extracurricular activity I made the declaration that fun would no longer be had during school hours. If the endeavour captivating their attention had little or no educational value or seemed even slightly too enjoyable it would be off limits until 4:00 p.m. I punctuated my statement by turning off the computer where the little ones had taken to playing alphabet games (and laughing!) during the fifth grader's math lesson. Buddy #2 began an elaborate waterworks show which I smugly ignored. I retreated to allow my tough but fair proclamation sink in. After a few moments Buddy #2 haltingly approached.

 "Mama, you said we can't have the things we like until we get our work done?" he asked shyly.

I was impressed since the display of power was not originally intended for the kindergartner.

 "Yes, that's right, Buddy. I'm glad you were listening!" I said in my best teacher's voice.

Feeling as though my long winded speech may have actually embedded in one of the brains I was quite satisfied with myself.

I unclenched my teeth and found the sweetness I had lost for those few moments and continued with the day. After the lessons were done I busied myself with dinner preparations relieved the school day was finished. I had all but forgotten the judgement I had handed down during those moments of duress when Buddy #2 hugged me and smiled sweetly.

  "Mama," he began. "I really like my bedroom that you made for me!"

Four year-old boys can be so charming!

  "I'm so glad you like it sweetheart!" I replied, completely oblivious to what was about to happen.

  "Well, you said I'm not allowed to have the things I like until I learn to do my work so I guess I'll be sleeping with you until I do."

I'll admit. I walked right into that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minding My "q's and p's"

Bombshell

Small, Simple, Crazy Things